Monday, November 12, 2012

Advice for beginner pianists + a sound test of my piano!

Hey ya'll! Last week I made a poll on what type of post I should write about, and tips for beginner pianists won! So here are my tips/advice for beginner pianists:

1. If you don't know anything about piano, I would suggest getting a piano teacher, or at least someone who knows a decent amount of things about piano. 

2. If you don't know whether you will be taking lessons for good, you should get a keyboard rather than a piano. Keyboards are inexpensive, and will last for the first year or so of lessons. Once you get to a higher level, a piano would be a great choice. 

3. I know that when I listen to a certain piece a lot before I start reading the scores/sheet music, it helps me a lot, so that I know what will always come next in the piece. So listening to the music before you start playing it is a great help.

4. LEARN MUSIC THEORY!! It is soo helpful. Believe me, learn as much as you can about it! I wasn't really taught much about music theory, so I still sometimes have trouble with it. Find a good book on it or something with lots of information. 

5. Make sure that you don't try to learn anything that is too far above your ability of skill. Two or three years ago, when I was some many levels below where I am now, I printed out the scores for Invention 8 by Bach. Totally wrong choice... I wasn't able to play it until last year. I really suggest learning easier things until you're sure you can handle something more advanced. 

6. If you're a complete beginner and you're learning all on your own, you should only play music that includes treble clef, but do this until you get the idea of using only your right hand. When you become used to only playing with your right hand, try out music that includes both hands (but nothing that includes far too much left hand).  

7. I think it's a great idea to film videos of any pieces you learn. That way, you can look back some years later and see how much you have improved! 

8. Two websites I would recommend are G Major Music Theory and Making Music Fun. They may both appear to be for young kids, but they have a lot of music and levels to choose from (not very advanced levels, though). 

9. Don't ever let anyone tell you that you're not good. Continue to learn no matter what. What other people think doesn't matter, but what you think about yourself matters much more. Stay positive. :) 

10. Always have fun!!! Music can be so fun if you let it be! I love learning pieces that challenge me in certain areas; it always gives me more experience. So definitely learn pieces that you think would be fun for you.

I hope all these tips help any beginner pianists out there!!



Here is a sound test of the piano, using The Love in Us. (I don't consider this a real upload...just a sound test.) I chose to play this piece since there's not too many parts that include lower keys or sharps (the lowers black keys are more out of tune than the others). The piano really needs to be tuned, so please do not give me negative comments about something I already know that needs to be done. :)

2 comments:

  1. Good Afternoon! (Wondering what time of the day is it now in USA )
    When will your piano be tuned??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning! (It's 6:30 in the morning right now). I don't know when the piano will be tuned...

      Delete